Mifepristone: An abortion pill for unwanted gestation
Mifepristone is an abortion pill which helps to end the pregnancy. Mifepristone is taken with another medication called as Misoprotol. Combination of these two drug helps to terminate the pregnancy effectively.
Some common side effects a woman may suffer from abdominal pain, vaginal bleeding, tiredness etc; while some may suffer heavy bleeding and cramping too. According to studies fifty-two to ninety-four percent of pregnancies will end with mifepristone.
Mifepristone is responsible to cause the uterine lining which breaks and depart the fetus from the life supported system. Once the fetus is departed from the attached system, it is expelled out of the uterus or the womb. Even after departing the fetus from attached system the pregnancy is terminated.
Mifepristone is also called as RU-486.Mifepristone is anti-progesterone, which blocks progesterone effects and causes contractions of uterus. This pill is usually taken orally. This pill works very efficiently and effectively to terminate the unwanted pregnancy. Under forty-nine days of pregnancy, mifepristone alone is capable to terminate the pregnancy.
This drug is used mainly in the second trimester of pregnancy. It is mostly used along with vaginal administration of misoprostol to terminate the pregnancy. However, this kind of abortion may result in fatal bacterial infections.
- Woman should have mifepristone pill without regard to meal.
- Woman should not have other medication Misoprostol along with mifepristone.
- Prolonged vaginal bleeding is the indication of abnormal or incomplete abortion. At that time a woman may need medical attention. If a woman won’t get medical attention then she may suffer from hemostatic disorder, anaemia etc.
- Some time a woman may have to face severe bacterial infection which may cause fever, nausea, vomiting etc.
- If a woman decides to continue the pregnancy, then there will be risk of fetal harm. One must perform clinical examination and ultra-sonographic scans after conforming pregnancy termination.
- Mifepristone is not effective for ectotopic pregnancy.
Advice for patient:
1 Woman must read medication guide carefully before receiving Mifepristone. In case if woman went in hospital for abortion purpose she should read the complete agreement form before she proceed.
2 Woman should ask for the emergency contact number for emergency situations.
3 It may be possible that a woman may need surgical intervention too.
4 Woman should take care of severe infection and contact clinician as soon as possible.
Some of side effects of mifepristone are as follows:
- A fever higher than 100.4 degrees F
- Severe pelvic pain
- Severe or ongoing nausea
- No vaginal bleeding after taking mifepristone.
- General ill feeling
- Fast heart rate
- The woman can buy this Mifepristone pill online as some of the women’s may hesitate to buy it from pharmacies directly. So for those introvert women’s buying mifepristone is better option. It is better to have the mifepristone to terminate unwanted pregnancy at home itself. Sometime if women fell nervous to terminate the unwanted pregnancy at home she may visit the hospital or clinic.